1. PRINCIPLE: An agreement is void if the court regards it as opposed to the public policy.
FACTS: Ritu, while her husband Mohit was alive, promised to marry Akash in the event of Mohit’s death. Subsequently, Mohit died, but Ritu refused to marry Akash. Akash sues Ritu for damages for breach of promise.
(a) Ritu is liable as she is bound to marry Akash.
(b) Ritu is liable to compensate Akash for breach of promise.
(c) Akash can marry someone else.
(d) Ritu is not liable as the contract is opposed to public policy and so void.
2. PRINCIPLE: An agreement is void if its object is unlawful.
FACTS: Sunil had a rich uncle who owned prime property in Chennai and had lot of money in the bank. Being the only heir, Sunil was sure that he would inherit the property. One day, the uncle called him to his room and announced that he planned to marry again. This angered Sunil and he planned to murder his uncle so he hired Anuj, a murderer and entered into a contract with him to kill his uncle. Sunil agreed to pay Rs.10 lakhs to Anuj and even paid Rs. 5 lakhs as advance. The following night Anuj entered the uncle’s house intending to kill him. On reaching there, he realised that Sunil’s uncle was already dead so he left without doing anything. Next day, after post mortem report, it transpired that Sunil’s uncle had died due to heart attack. Now, Sunil wants to recover the advance from Anuj. Will he succeed?
(a) Yes, because Sunil’s uncle died of heart attack
(b) No, because it is a void agreement
(c) Anuj is liable to return the amount as the act was not done by him.
(d) None of the above.
The answers are: 1. (d); 2. (b).
1. Select the correct combination of mathematical signs to replace * signs and to balance the given equation.
15 * 5 * 3 * 25
(a) = ÷ x
(b) x ÷ =
(c) ÷ x =
(d) x = ÷.
2. If TEMPLE is coded as VHQURI, how would you code CHURCH?
3. N is more intelligent than M. M is not as intelligent as Y. X is more intelligent than Y but not as intelligent as N. Who is the most intelligent of all?
4. Six friends are sitting in a circle and playing cards. Kenny is to the left of Danny. Michael is in between Bobby and Johnny. Roger is in between Kenny and Bobby. Who is sitting to the right of Michael?
5. In a certain language
(1) PIC VLC NLC means ‘Winter is cold’
(2) TO NLC RE means ‘Summer is hot’
(3) RE THO PA means ‘Nights are hot’
Which of the following is the code for ‘Summer’?
The answers are: 1. (b); 2. (a); 3. (c); 4. (d); 5. (a).
1. In these times of growing economic turbulence, unless new reserves are found soon, the world’s supply of natural gases is being depleted in such a way that with demand continuing to grow at the present rates, reserves will be exhausted by the year 2200 AD.
Which of the following, if true, will most weaken the above argument?
(a) There has been a slowdown in the rate of increase in world demand for natural gases over the last decade, from 20% to 10%.
(b) It has been known for many years that there are vast stocks of natural gases under Antarctica, which have yet to be economically exploited.
(c) Electricity is being used increasingly in place of natural gases for many industrial and domestic uses.
(d) None of the above.
2. New age problems require new age solutions. Further new age problems arise with new age populations and new age technologies. In order to find solutions to these problems we need to build new age institutions as well as new age political, economic and social mechanisms. Yet, institutions and political and economic mechanisms grow slowly and die slowly. Hence, new age institutions should be given every chance of trying to achieve success in their objectives.
The argument above rests on which of the following assumptions?
(a) New age institutions are needed because old institutions are inefficient.
(b) New age institutions are created in order to solve existing problems.
(c) Over a course of time, as an institution grows, it has chances of succeeding in its objectives.
(d) None of these.
The answers are: 1. (d); 2. (c).