1. Principle: A person who voluntarily takes a decision to do something after appreciating the risk involved in such act and then receives an injury, will not be entitled to get any compensation.
Facts: ‘X’, an electrical engineer, was invited by his friend ‘Y’ to the factory where he was employed. While they were in the factory, ‘Q’ a worker in the factory informed ‘Y’ about some short-circuit in the power room. Hearing this, ‘Y’ asked ‘X’ to stay in his office and rushed to the power room. ‘X’ however, decided to follow ‘Y’. ‘X’ noticed that if the power supply through the electric line could be disconnected, the electrical leakage could be stopped which would prevent further damage. Suddenly ‘X’ decided to pull out the wire manually even though it was risky. This resulted in a blast in which both ‘X’ and ‘Y’ got injured. ‘X’ had to spend ` 1 lakh at the hospital for his treatment. ‘X’ wants to file a suit for compensation from the management of the factory. Will he succeed?
(a) Yes, because ‘X’ was invited by ‘Y’ to visit him and hence he is in the position of an invitee.
(b) Yes, because ‘X’ was trying to avert a great danger to the factory.
(c) No, because ‘Y’ specifically asked ‘X’ to stay in the office room.
(d) No, as ‘X’ was aware of some risk in his action and still decided to take the risk.
2. Principle: Publication of the disparaging statement which may interfere with the due course of justice or proper administration of law can be considered as Contempt of the Court.
Explanation: Statements which are based on obvious distortion or gross mis-statement, made in manner which is designed to lower the respect of the judiciary or destroy public confidence are considered to affect the proper administration of law.
Facts: A particular High Court gave a judgment which resulted in the affirmation of the Government’s action of displacement of a large section of population from an industrial region. Madan who was leading a movement against the Government’s action wrote an article which included a statement: “Though I certainly know that the Hon’ble Judges are most honest but their action and reasoning appear so which could be given only by those who have vested interest in the displacement. But I do not question their integrity.”
(a) Madan has committed contempt as his statement shall cause the loss of public confidence in Judiciary
(b)Madan has committed contempt as criticism of a judicial decision is not included in the freedom of speech and expression
(c) Madan has not committed contempt as he has merely shown a dissent from the judgment
(d) Madan has not committed contempt as though he critiqued the judgment, he clarified his stance.
The answers are: 1. (d); 2. (a).
Informed people generally assimilate information from several divergent sources before coming to an opinion. However, most popular news organizations view foreign affairs solely through the eyes of our State Department. In reporting the political crisis in foreign country B, news organizations must endeavour to find alternative sources of information.
Which of the following inferences can be drawn from the argument above?
(a) To the degree that a news source gives an account of another country that mirrors that of our State Department, that reporting is suspect
(b) To protect their integrity, news media should avoid the influence of State Department releases in their coverage of foreign affairs
(c) Reporting that is not influenced by the State Department is usually more accurate than are other accounts
(d) The alternative sources of information mentioned in the passage might not share the same views as the State Department.
The answer is (d).
1. RTVX: EGIK: : MOQS: ?
2. Shikha is mother-in-law of Ekta who is sister-in-law of Ankit. Pankaj is father of Sanjay, the only brother of Ankit. How is Shikha related to Ankit?
(a) Mother in law
3. In a code language, (mok dan sil) means ‘nice big house’, ‘fit kon dan’ mean ‘house is good’ and ‘warm tir fit’ means ‘cost is high’. Which word stands for ‘good’ in that language?
4. Anil, Sunil, Bimal and Kapil are colleagues of different heights. Kapil is not shorter than Anil. Anil is taller than Sunil. Sunil is taller than Bimal. Who is the shortest among them?
(d) Cannot be determined
The answers are: 1. (c) ; 2. (d); 3. (d); 4. (b)